The MSI Z370 Tomahawk is an ATX motherboard with Intel's Z370 chipset for 8th generation Intel processors (Coffee Lake) that use Socket LGA1151. The Z370 chipset is a refresh of earlier "Kaby Lake" chipsets and likewise comes with a maximum of 24 PCI Express 3.0 lines as well as sufficient HSIO lanes (High Speed I/O) to allow for multiple internal connections (such as SATA or PCIe slots, for example) to be used simultaneously. As a Z370 motherboard this enables the MSI Z370 Tomahawk to overclock K-series CPUs which come with an unlocked multiplier.
The look of the Tomahawk differs from the Enthusiast gaming series boards from MSI. Both use a black PCB, but the VRM heatsinks on the Tomahawk are redesigned and looks to be a bit smaller. The shroud for the back panel looks different as well, going for a more military look. The PCH heatsink is styled differently, similar to an SLI HB bridge even though this board does not support SLI, and has the MSI name in the middle with an LED illuminating the heatsink. The remaining RGB LEDs are on the audio separation line and the back of the board, giving it more of a backlit glow when inside of a case. There is also some gray stenciling on the board. If more RGB LEDs are in the future, the Tomahawk does have one additional RGB LED connector. Of the three PCIe slots, the first one for graphics cards is steel reinforced.
The MSI Z370 Tomahawk is an ATX motherboard with a robust feature set as well as the cutting edge z370 chipset from Intel which was designed for Intel's 8000- series Core processors. The board provides three PCIe x16 slots, of which one is connected to the chipset with a full 16 lanes while the others use four data lanes. This enables the board to support AMD's CrossFireX technology and offers the option of installing multiple graphics cards. Three PCIe x1 slots are available for expansion cards.
Equipped with a total of four DIMM slots for DDR4-RAM in fast dual-channel mode, up to 64 GB RAM can be installed in the four memory banks. The Coffee Lake processors support memory frequencies of 2.666 MHz, and overclocking allows modules of up to 3.800 MHz to be used.
The Tomahawk includes six angled SATA ports which supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. Also, on the right most part is a USB 3.0 header. All are positioned at 90 degrees for better cable management.
Moving on to the back panel. It consists of a PS/2 combo port, DVI-D and HDMI video outputs, ASMedia USB 3.1 Type-C and Type-A ports, 4x USB 3.1 (5Gbps) ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports, Intel Gigabit network controller, audio analog jacks and a SPDIF.
- 3× PCIe (3.0) x16 (x16/x4/x4) & 3× PCIe x1
- 2× USB 3.1 / 8× USB 3.0 / 6× USB 2.0
- 2× M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4) / 6× SATA 6G
- Supports max. 64 GB DDR4-RAM up to 3.800 MHz (OC)
- Integrated LED Lighting with MSI Mystic Light Support
- Easy overclocking via multiplier
The I/O of the motherboard includes a new USB 3.1 Type C port, which is particularly thin and can finally be inserted in either orientation. Apart from the Type C port, the motherboard also offers a backwards compatible USB 3.1 Type A port. USB 3.1 ports are capable of reaching speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s, twice as fast as earlier USB 3.0 ports! For input devices and other gaming peripherals the I/O panel comes with four further USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports and also utilises an Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN port. For excellent sound the motherboard uses the Realtek ALC892 Codec as well as the five 3,5 mm jacks for 7.1 sound.
The board has two M.2 slots, with the first above the top PCIe slot and able to hold up to a 110 mm drive. The 2nd M.2 slot is mounted between the two full-length black PCIe slots and holds up to an 80 mm drive. A total of six fan connectors can be found on the board around the CPU socket, two in the upper right-hand corner, a couple on the bottom of the board, and another below the VRM heatsink on the left side.
- Supports 8th Gen Intel Core / Pentium Celeron processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 4000+(OC) MHz
- MYSTIC LIGHT: 16.8 million colors / 17 effects in one click. Synchronize RGB strips and other RGB solutions for customization.
- Lightning Fast Game experience: 2x TURBO M.2, Intel Optane Memory Ready. LIGHTNING USB 3.1 GEN2
- DDR4 Boost: Advanced technology provided by MSI OC lab to ensure maximum compatibility for overclocking performance.
- GAMING LAN powered by Intel: Experience smooth gaming experience by reducing CPU overheadand, offering more effective and long-term CPU usage.
- MULTI-GPU: With STEEL ARMOR PCI-E slots. Supports 2-Way AMD Crossfire
- Audio Boost: Isolated audio with a high quality audio processor for the most immersive gaming experience.
- VR Ready: Best virtual reality game experience without latency, reduces motion sickness
To view full Specifications visit the website: