MSI's Z170A Gaming PRO CARBON edition motherboard sits in their PRO series range. This is the affordable segment, with a tenner cheaper in USD you'll be amazed as to what you are purchasing. Some features are cut out, like on-board power / reset buttons / WIFI and a secondary extra M.2. slot, but other than that, it's more of the same at exactly the same enthusiast class performance. The MSI Z170A Gaming PRO CARBON in fact is a very feature rich product for the money, and if you have a peek below... it will look terrific in any DIY PC build as well thanks to that all dark and clean looking PCB, now with RGB LED lighting system to customize it even more.
As we know, this Z170 based motherboard supports 6th Generation Core i3/i5/i7 processors based on the Skylake architecture. The board has a total of four DIMM slots in a dual channel configuration supporting up to 3600 MHz (OC) speeds.
If you are using the integrated GPU on these chips, the board has an HDMI port as well as a DVI-D port. If you are like most who will use a discrete card, you can use up to three AMD GPUs (x8/x8/x4) in Crossfire or two with NVIDIA cards at x8/x8 (since they will not run with x4 bandwidth).
As well as funky shrouds and snazzy colors, lighting is the next big thing and most of the major manufacturers are going head to head in allowing us to customise our boards. Asus has perhaps the best option we've seen with its Aura lighting in the new Maximus VIII Formula, which has a plain, black colorless PCB, yet it comes alive when you engage its various RGB LEDs. It even includes a standard 4-pin RGB LED header for some extra eye-candy.
The MSI Z170A Gaming PRO Carbon is presented in a black and red box where we see in large letters the name of the product and a sports car. In the back part they indicate all the most important technical characteristics of the motherboard.
Once we open the box we find the following bundle:
- Motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming PRO Carbon.
- SATA cable set.
- Back sheet.
- Instruction manual and quick guide.
- CD with software.
- CrossFireX cable.
The Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon also includes single USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C ports, as well as beefed up audio with Nahimic audio enhancement, Chemi-Con capacitors and dual headphone amps.
- Chipset Intel Z170
- Form factor ATX
- CPU support LGA1151 compatible (Skylake)
- Memory support Dual-channel, 4 slots, max 64GB
- Sound 8-channel Realtek ALC1150 Codec
- Networking Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN
- Ports 6 x SATA 6Gbps via Intel Z170, 1 x SATA Express, 1 x M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 (up to 2280), 1 x USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 x USB 3.1 Type A, 4 x USB 3.0 + 4 x via headers, 4 x USB 2.0 + 4 via headers, 1 x LAN, audio out, line in, mic, Optical S/PDIF out, HDMI 1.4, VGA, DVI-D
- Dimensions (mm) 305x 244
- Extras Isolated audio circuitry, steel-plated PCI-E slots, RGB lighting.
- Amazing RGB illumination
- Comprehensive software package
- DDR4 Boost enhances stability with high bandwidth DIMMs
- Fantastic performance in every benchmark
- Great selection of USB 3.1 ports
- Impeccable value-for-money
- Intuitive BIOS packed full of features
- PCI-E x16 steel armour eliminates GPU droop
- Perfect for extreme overclocking barring LN2
- Premium electronics
- Stunning aesthetic design
- Superb audio hardware
- No LED Post for diagnostics
To view full Specifications visit the website: