The Corsair AX1600i is the ultimate digital ATX power supply, built using only the quality components and state-of-the-art gallium nitride transistors to deliver higher efficiency. Enter the AX1600i. We're naturally expecting great things from this model, given what we measured from the AX1500i. Currently, the best 1600W PSU is EVGA's 1600 T2, and it's based on an analog Super Flower platform. So of course we're anxious to see how that holds up to an all-digital architecture.
The 80 PLUS program starts looking obsolete in the context of advanced PSUs like this one. Even the organization's highest rating (Titanium) cannot fully describe the potential of modern digital platforms. For now, they're lumped into the same category as older ones. Thankfully, Cybenetics' ETA efficiency standard has a higher level (ETA-A++) that the AX1600i cannot reach. In three or four years, we think we'll start seeing PSUs capable of hitting that level's requirements. It'll take fully digital converters on every rail though, including 5VSB.
- 1600W of Ultimate Power: Delivers 1600W of continuous, ultra-stable, 80 PLUS Titanium efficiency power.
- Top Tier Components: 100% 105°C Japanese capacitors, top-specification internal components and digital design deliver over 94% efficiency.
- The Only Consumer PSU with Gallium Nitride Transistors: Totem-pole PFC Gallium Nitride (GaN) transistors for superior efficiency in a smaller form factor.
- World Class Electrical Performance: Incredibly stable voltages and ultra-low ripple noise.
- Software Monitoring: CORSAIR LINK software provides in-depth monitoring for PSU temperature, fan speed, voltages, current, AC/DC wattage and efficiency, with the ability to log everything for easy troubleshooting.
- Take Control: CORSAIR LINK lets you adjust cooling fan speed, RPM curves and switch between single or multi-rail overcurrent protection (OCP), all from your desktop.
- 140mm Patented FDB cooling fan: Delivers low-noise operation even at demanding loads.
- Zero RPM Fan Mode: For near-silent operation at low to medium loads.
- Choose Your Color: Three-color customizable magnetic side labels let you choose your PSU’s style to match your build.
- Fully Modular Cables: Use only the cables you need for quick and easy installation
- Built to Last: Ten-Year comprehensive CORSAIR warranty.
The AX1600i is distinctive and immediately recognisable as a Corsair power supply. Its a long power supply, but its 2cm shorter than the AX1500i (22.5cm). The other measurements of the AX1600i are 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) . Paintwork is very good, with it proving resistant to light scratches. Its a well finished unit, expected at this price.
The modular panel is packed with connectors and buttons. All the connectors are labelled to make it easy during the build phase. The connectors are all different sizes so it makes it impossible to plug in the wrong connector.
In Multi Rail mode, the +12V rail is split into twelve separate +12V rails, each with a default OCP of 40A. In Link, this OCP can be adjusted from 0A to a maximum of 40A.
The Corsair Link connector is useful, as you can monitor efficiency, voltage regulation and it allows you to change fan speeds and individual over current protection points on each connector.
With the 24 pin cable removed from the connector, the ‘self-test’ button tests the functionality of the power supply. If the PSU passes the self test then the LED on the left (under the word ‘SELF) will light up green.
AX1600i Safety Protections
AX1600i has the necessary protection functions to ensure trouble-free operation, even in extreme conditions. Below is a list of the included protections:
- Over Current Protection (OCP): Shuts off power if any rail is overloaded beyond a safe level.
- Over Voltage Protection (OVP): Shuts off power if voltages exceed specification.
- Under Voltage Protection (UVP): Shuts off power if voltages drop below specification.
- Short Circuit Protection (SCP): Shuts off power if a short circuit is detected.
- Over Temperature Protection (OTP): Shuts off power if temperatures exceed a specified value.
- Over Power Protection (OPP): Shuts off power if the total output power exceeds a safe level.
To view full Specifications visit the website-