EVGA refreshed its popular G2 PSU family with the G3 one using Super Flower's Leadex II platform. The 850 G3 is the second strongest member in this line-up, offering high performance and a depth of just 15cm.
The 850 G3 is strong enough to power a high-end gaming PC or workstation, and its limited depth ensure compatibility with every ATX chassis. Naturally, the SuperNOVA 850 G3 is fully modular. And of course EVGA backs it with the same 10-year warranty that protected the G2 line-up (and compelled competing brands to increase their coverage as well).
The SuperNOVA 850 G3 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply from EVGA provides up to 850 W of power along with six PCIe 8-pin (6+2) connectors for NVIDIA SLI or AMD Crossfire gaming builds. This G3 version of the SuperNOVA series of power supplies comes with a smaller design and an improved hydraulic dynamic bearing fan when compared to the SuperNOVA G2. The 130mm fan and EVGA ECO intelligent thermal control system provide cooling performance while minimizing noise levels to a maximum of 35 dBA.
- 80-Plus Gold certified
- Japanese brand capacitors for long-term reliability
- Fully modular design to reduce clutter and improve airflow
- NVIDIA SLI and AMD Crossfire ready
- OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP (Over Power Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OTP (Over Temperature Protection)
- EVGA ECO intelligent thermal control system helps eliminates fan noise at low to medium loads
- Hydraulic dynamic bearing fan for quiet operation and increased lifespan
The EVGA Supernova 850W G3 power supply enclosure is painted matte black and measures 150mm (5.9”) long. The same compact chassis is used for all G3 Series power supplies, up to and including the 1000W model. The back panel includes an AC receptacle, main power On-Off switch, and an ECO Thermal Control fan mode switch (On enables fan-less operation).
The 850 G3 power supply incorporates EVGA’s ECO Intelligent Thermal Control System for fan speed control. This allows the end user to select silent, fan-less operation for low to mid power applications if desired.
The power supply uses a 128mm, seven blade fan on the bottom for cooling. The EVGA labelled fan (H1282412H) is rated for 0.35A at 12 VDC and is controlled by the ECO Thermal Control System. It features a hydraulic dynamic bearing for long life and quiet operation. This is EVGA’s name for a FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) which is an enhanced sleeve bearing with tiny V-shaped grooves to control and pressurize the flow of lubricating oil.
The front panel on the 850W G3 incorporates twelve modular cable connectors nicely keyed and labelled to prevent inadvertently plugging a cable into the wrong connector.
All of the modular cables are sleeved with a black nylon mesh covering. If you are curious as to what the little “bumps” at the device end of the cables are, we dissected one of the 4+4 pin CPU cables to show you.
The first thing that greets you among the nicely-arranged box contents is a user's manual. Most companies put it on top in an effort to encourage your to read it. Most of us don't, though. The truth is that, in a PSU with a single +12V rail, there isn't much reason to look at the manual. You connect the cables to your components and you don't have to pay attention to the connectors you use. After all, there's just one +12V rail. Power distribution isn't a concern.
• 850W of Continuous DC output at up to 50°C
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, with up to 92% efficiency
• Outstanding voltage regulation (±1%) on the three primary outputs
• Outstanding AC ripple and noise suppression
• Very quiet 130mm cooling fan with a hydraulic dynamic bearing
• ECO Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low to mid power
• Compact chassis measures only 150mm (5.9”) deep
• Excellent assortment of fully modular cables
• NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
• All Japanese made capacitors for long life and reliable operation
• 10-Year warranty
• I personally would prefer to see the 24-pin ATX, one 4+4 pin CPU, and a pair of PCI-E cables fixed instead of being totally modular.
To view full Specifications visit the website: