Asus is celebrating the 10th year of its Republic of Gamers (ROG) division with a new flagship motherboard based on Intel's X99 chipset. It's the ROG Rampage V Edition 10, a decked board for Haswell-E and Broadwell-E processors that's already set three world records and 14 global first place finishes in 2D and 3D benchmarks, Asus says.
If it's bling you're after, the ROG Rampage V Edition 10 brings it by way of a sleek layout and Aura RGB illumination. There are five independently controlled LED areas on the motherboard, plus a 4-pin RGB header for add-on RGB strips if you want to crank the light show up a notch.
To start with, there's obviously a big focus on extreme overclocking. The eight switches near the LED POST code display are for toggling on and off the DIMM and 16x PCI-E slots to deal with misplaced hardware that you might want to switch around or test if it's working. There's an LN2 mode jumper, and slow mode switch, additional CPU and PCI-E power connectors, voltage check points, a dual BIOS switch and a ROG extension connector.
These are all in addition to the full works when it comes to overclocking and testing tools such as power and reset buttons, retry and safe boot buttons as well plenty of cooling on the board itself. However, the Rampage has always been about including gamers and general enthusiasts in the mix too, and there's plenty for those to like here as well.
The board looks fantastic and a peak round the rear shows an integrated I/O panel, with no ugly exposed ports - a first for any motherboard as far as we're aware. That said, there's still a shield frame in the box so technically Asus has just filled in the gaps - you still need to use the frame for a totally sealed I/O panel, which seems a bit odd.
- Best gaming lighting: Aura RGB illumination and Aura 4-pin RGB-strip header
- Best gaming extra – SupremeFX Hi-Fi
- Best gaming performance – 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning, second-generation T-Topology and Extreme Engine Digi+
- Best gaming audio – Reinvented SupremeFX with intuitive Sonic Studio II
- Best gaming networking – Best-in-class Intel® Gigabit Ethernet ,LANGuard and GameFirst technology
- Best gaming connectivity — 3×3 802.11ac Wi-Fi , NVMe U.2, M.2, SATA Express and USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C for extreme-speed transfers and total compatibility
- Best gaming protection – SafeSlot, pre-mounted I/O shield, and carefully-selected premium components for maximum durability.
Instead of the usual red or silver accents seen on previous ROG boards, the ROG Rampage V Edition 10 is all black with a hint of orange. The only clue that something is a bit different are the clear clips on the Safe Slot equipped Q-Slots and the orange coloring on the PCH heat sink. As a black board, the Rampage V Edition 10 is the perfect back drop for all the AURA controlled RGB lighting features with accents on the Q-Slots, PCH heat sink, and around the right side of the PCB.
To view full Specifications visit the website: